CVHS Women’s Varsity Soccer Looks to Improve on Last Season

“Passion.” That’s what new Cleveland Rams Women’s Varsity Soccer Coach, Jose Vega-Acosta, brings to this year’s team. 

After three years, the Rams have a new head coach. Coach Vega takes over for Kenneth Sweat. Vega comes to Cleveland from last year’s 2A state champion Carrboro High School. The Rams look to improve on their 12-7 overall record. Vega says he chose to come to Cleveland with all of the other opportunities because the community here is great. His daughter plays here, and he came to a couple of games in previous years, and all of the support from the community is what drew him here. 

This year’s team has four seniors and eight freshmen, so leadership will be an important factor of the team. Coach Vega says he can depend on the seniors to provide good leadership to the rest of the team, and he thinks that the incoming class of freshmen have been phenomenal, and they have really stepped up. He continues on saying in his 10 plus years of coaching he has never had as talented freshmen, so the leadership is there, and the future will be exciting. 

Coach Vega believes that his team will only get better and improve. He says there is a good core of knowledge here, and he thinks the team pushes each other to their limits. They have very good senior leadership with very high soccer IQ. In his opinion, he believes with as young of a team he has, and with the good senior leadership, when those mix, it will create a special and bright future. 

Some goals and expectations Coach Vega has for his new team include bringing a sense of pushing limits and challenging the team that he selects, and as he calls it, “really stretching that rubber band so there is only room for improvement.” 

The Rams open the season on March 3 at East Clayton Community Park against Southern Nash. Throughout the year, the Rams will seek out challenges and look to meet and overcome those challenges. Recently the Rams beat a team in a scrimmage 11-0 against a team that formerly beat them 2-0. Coach Vega says another big goal he set when he agreed to coach here was he wanted to schedule games against teams who beat Cleveland last year. He did this to show the girls that if they work together and work hard they can overcome anything no matter the odds. 

The Rams are off to a 3-0 start.