CvHS Helping Out Australia Wildfire Relief

Cleveland High School clubs are teaming up to help Australia with wildfire relief.

The Key Club, Environmental Club, and Student Council are raising money to help by selling shirts and raffle tickets and sending the money they collect to Australian Zoos Wildlife Warriors.

Mrs. Melissa Pearce, Student Council Adviser, told us why the clubs joined together. “We agreed that there is a good amount of evidence that suggests the funds are directly used to support the rescue and recovery efforts of the animals suffering from the wildfire as well as their conservation and research efforts,” Pearce said. This organization was founded to help and protect wildlife and endangered animals, from the individual animal to the entire species. Cleveland clubs are trying to make a change and help other people and animals in need. Mrs. Brittany Cooper-West, Key Club Adviser, says, “I hope the fundraiser will raise awareness, deepen compassion for our student body and the local community, and above all, I hope we are able to make a difference in this tragedy.” 

The Key Club members had to make a list of three events or fundraisers that they wanted to participate in, and most of the members mentioned the Australian wildfires and the animals being impacted. As of January 31, the clubs have about $400 to send to Australia. Students became inspired by this movement, and student leaders have also become inspired and decided they wanted to do something about it. Pearce says, “We have a great number of student leaders here at Cleveland, and they felt inspired to help. So that’s what we’re doing. We’re doing our part.” 

Shirts can be ordered through the end of the day Friday. Raffle tickets can be purchased through “B” lunch on Friday.