A Moment With The Staff: Ms. Cynthia Giles

With a new wave of students, comes a new wave of staff. Cynthia Giles, a new addition to the RamFam, teaches Microsoft ITA Word and PowerPoint, a computer-based class that students can walk away from with a certification. Given that this is her first time teaching, she wasn’t quite sure what to expect at the beginning of this year. She said,

“I like Cleveland. It’s a good school.”

Her credentials:

• B.A. in Communications, from Saint Augustine’s University
  • M.S. in Education, from North Carolina State University
  • She is currently part of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., an international sorority which women can join during and after college.

When Giles was in school, she appreciated biology, chemistry and social studies more than other classes. Her favorite color is pink. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, singing and acting.

“My son is a professional actor and songwriter,” Giles said.

While Giles has not previously taught, she has had experience with high school students. She has worked with a program called Youth Advocacy and Involvement. This program taught students how to advocate for themselves and be involved in their community.

Giles believes that the best teacher quality is genuine concern for students. Teachers should have the desire to engage students (this helps them be successful).

“By engaging students in learning, you give them the opportunity to interact with other students and the teacher,” Giles said.