The Week That Was: November 12-22

Drunk driving car crash

In Smithfield, North Carolina, Cleveland High School students Hailey and Stephen Wagner, along with their grandmother, and their friend, Cleveland High School student Ethan Handly, were hit from behind by a drunk driver going over 90 mph. Ethan Handly, 15, and the Wagners’ grandmother were killed in the accident. Their grandmother’s car was stopped at a red light when it was hit. 

When the accident happened, Hailey Wagner was launched from the car and was lying in gasoline in the road. Both Wagners suffered neck fractures, but Hailey also ended up with burns from the pavement, as well as a broken foot, while Stephen also has a back injury.

Felix Antonio Juarez-Antunez caused the incident and was charged with two counts each of felony death by vehicle and felony serious injury by vehicle.

Ethan Handley, 15, a Cleveland student was killed in drunk driving accident. Photo from the Handly family

California school shooting 

A junior at Saugus High School in Santa Clara shot himself after killing two classmates and injuring three other students. The 16-year-old opened fire at the high school on Thursday, which was also his birthday. He used his last bullet to shoot himself in the head. Investigators are not sure of the shooter’s motive because they said the student was not alone and was not socially awkward. He was an athlete and was involved in student activities. 

As the gunshots began many ran to safety, other students hid, some covered windows, and some put stuff in front of the doors and some of the students tried to help the ones who had been shot. One teacher barricaded the door and helped an injured student. 

Police said that not long before school began, the shooter walked to an area known as the quad where he took a .45-caliber pistol from his backpack and began shooting. Grace Anne Muehlberger, 15, and Dominic Blackwell, 14, died at a hospital.

Indiana Judges get into Fist Fight at a White Castle

On Tuesday, the Indiana Supreme Court suspended three judges. In April, Clark County judges Andrew Adams and Bradley Jacobs went and stayed at a hotel north of Indianapolis for the state’s Spring Judicial College, a conference for judicial officers. They later met up with their other friends, Crawford County judge Sabrina R. Bell and Magistrate William Dawkins.

The friends starting drinking at their hotel and decided to walk to the closest White Castle. Dawkins went inside to order while the others stood outside to wait. Two men then drove by the judges and catcalled Bell. She got angry and flipped them off. The men then got out of their car and came up to the group of judges. A fight broke out between the two men and Jacobs and Adams. One of the men then pulled out a gun and fired three shots and injured Adams and Jacobs before fleeing the scene. Adams and Jacobs were rushed to the hospital and are now fine, but the tree judges were suspended for getting into a fight while drunk during the week of the state conference.

Garrett’s suspension

The NFL has suspended Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett for at least the rest of the season.

Garrett ripped off Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph’s helmet and hit him with it. His minimum suspension, which was announced Friday, puts him out for six regular-season games and also any playoff games this year. Pittsburgh’s Maurkice Pouncey and Cleveland’s Larry Ogunjobi were also suspended for their role in the fight. 

This happened with only seconds left in the game, when Garrett, selected first overall in the 2017 NFL draft, took Mason Rudolph to the ground after he completed a meaningless screen pass. Pouncey, Garrett, and Ogunjobi were all ejected from the game. 

Browns Defensive End Myles Garrett is suspended indefinitely by the NFL for hitting Mason Rudolph with his own helmet.

Editor’s Note: On Thursday, the NFL upheld Garrett’s suspension and reduced Pouncey’s suspension by one game.