Honoring Soccer’s Seniors

The 2019 Cleveland seniors from the Varsity Soccer Team played their last game at Cleveland High School on Monday, October 28. The team beat conference rival West Johnson 3-1 to end their high school career at home on a positive note and move to 11-5-2 overall and 6-3 in the Greater Neuse River 3A Conference. The senior class is a dedicated group of athletes who have represented Cleveland High School in a positive way. 

The Varsity team had 14 dedicated seniors: Rigo Bueno, Christian Choto, Jake Ginn, Justin Hall, Luke Holding, Cannon Johnson, Josh Johnson, Jonathan Knott, Grant Medlin, Luke Meyer, Westin Myrick, Cesar Rodriguez, Quinton Strickland, and Preston Taylor.  All of the seniors reported that they enjoyed senior night because the crowd was supportive and made them feel honored. Each senior was recognized and walked along the end line while being accompanied by their families. This was a special moment for all of the seniors. Quinton Strickland stated that the crowd was amazing and energetic. He was happy with the overall atmosphere.

Another part of senior night involved the sharing of the seniors’ future plans.  Luke Meyer said, “It was good to see all the seniors lined up and to hear their future plans over the loudspeaker.”  The announcement made all of the seniors feel like their hard work and high school careers were valued. Along with feeling special, this game brought out many emotions for the seniors.  Justin Hall said, “This was a very emotional night because it will be the last game we are playing at Cleveland High School.”

The Rams close out the regular season at South Johnston (12-7-1 overall, 3-6 Greater Neuse River 3A conference) on October 30.   Overall, the seniors are happy with their season and their soccer career at Cleveland. They did not win the conference this year, but their season will continue in the playoffs.  Soccer seeding for the playoffs will take place on Monday, November 4th and the first game is Wednesday, November 6th.

Editor’s note: Cleveland finished their 2019 season at Chapel Hill in the first round of playoffs, final score 3-1.