NCSU Demolishes ECU

ECU came to Raleigh on Saturday to avenge a 58-3 loss to NC State last season. The Wolfpack wanted to see where they stood after sending four players to the NFL this year.

Matthew McKay, the redshirt sophomore quarterback, made his first start for the Wolfpack. McKay had 25 completions out of 37 pass attempts for over 300 plus yards (308). He also ran for two touchdowns. Former Clayton Comet, freshman receiver Devin Carter, caught one pass for twelve yards. After a rough start, the NC State defense shutdown ECU’s ground game, holding them to only six points for the whole game. Mckay ran a four yard touchdown just before half to give State a 17-3 lead. He also scored on a 21 yard pylon dive touchdown. He found number senior wide receiver Tabari Hines for a 48 yard touchdown on the right side in the third quarter to put the game out of reach.

ECU sophomore quarterback Holton Ahlers threw for 168 yards under new coach Mike Houston. An amazing game opening drive ended when Ahlers fumbled inside the five yard line in State territory, and the Pirates never came close to getting towards the red zone again until late in the game. Ahlers started strong, completing his first seven pass attempts and leading the Pirates inside the red zone, but on a first down run, State sophomore defensive back Tanner Ingle made an aggressive hit, forcing a fumble and allowing his teammate, senior defensive back Jarius Morehead, to recover it in the end zone.

The final score was 34-6 in favor of the Wolfpack. The Wolfpack continue its non conference schedule with a match up against Western Carolina in Raleigh on Saturday afternoon. The Pirates return to Greenville hoping to rebound against Gardner Webb on Saturday evening.