Three Gun Related Incidents in Schools in a Week Raise Alarms

NC seems to have a problem with gun control in schools as of late, as exhibited by the shootings in both Winston Salem and Wilmington, and the two guns that were procured on sight at Raleigh’s Enloe High School. All of these occurred this past week.

A student was fatally wounded in a school shooting at Mt. Tabor High School in Winston Salem, North Carolina. The shooting occurred on September 1. Officials have confirmed the suspect is in custody. There were no details offered about the suspect. Authorities are still investigating a possible motive. The school was placed on lockdown after the shooting, and schools in the area were also placed on lockdown out of an abundance of caution according to CNN. One student was located with a gunshot wound. This shooting was the second school shooting in North Carolina this week, following the one in Wilmington.

A 15 year old student shot at another student at a Wilmington high school on August 31. It started with a small fight. Then Chance Deablo (identified by New Hanover County Sheriff Ed McMahon) pulled out a gun. The victim was hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries. The suspect did get charged with four charges, including first degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon. After the shooting, deputies escorted students to nearby Williston Middle School. The Wilmington City Council has been “wrestling with” gun violence for years according to WRAL . “The larger issue is should we be doing something to take guns out of the hands of people who shouldn’t have them,” one of the officers involved said.

On Thursday, September 2, 2021, a teacher at Enloe High School was notified that a student had a firearm on campus. The student was called up to the principal’s office to find out that the student was carrying two firearms. In The News and Observer, Principal Jacqueline Jordan of Enloe High School said, “Carrying a firearm is a very serious offense.”

With three recorded gun-related incidents in multiple cities in North Carolina, and with six cities in North Carolina being some of the deadliest in the U.S., it would be natural to come up with the assumptions about these crimes being related in some way according to CBS17. According to criminologist Richard Rosenfield and CCJ research specialist Ernesto Lopez with Time.com, in most cities, crime rates have significantly risen because of the recent lack of trust in the police and the strain of the pandemic. This being our third week back in school, and with three major gun-related incidents in our area, it’s definitely worth taking into consideration how the lockdown would have affected the youth.