Cleveland Ram

Comparing and Contrasting the Past Two School Years at Cleveland

The past two school years at Cleveland High school have not been the same as others in the past. Covid has changed many students’ and teachers’ daily lives because of all the restrictions and modifications. Teachers have never had to teach school online and some students have struggled to learn well since the adjustments. Although this school year has allowed all students to be back in the classroom some things have still remained from last year. 

Masks have been a controversial topic throughout the summer for the Johnston County school board. On July 29, 2021 the vote count displayed that masks would be optional, but this was then changed two weeks later. On the other hand, for the 2020-2021 school year masks were automatically made mandatory at the beginning of the school year. Students cannot change the school boards final decision, but they still have their own personal opinions on if they should be worn or not. Tenth grade student at Cleveland, Abby Hunt says, “They don’t bother me, but since I’m vaccinated I shouldn’t really have to wear one.” 

In August 2020, nobody was allowed to be in the classroom, but on October 22, 2020 students at Cleveland High school were allowed back on campus. Even with restrictions lifted, some students still chose to do online for different reasons. Abby Hunt stated, “I didn’t like the idea of a large group of people at school during a pandemic.” “I could get things done on my own time by myself at home.” Eleventh grade student Sarah Pit agrees by saying, “I chose to stay online because it was easier for me to complete my assignments and none of my friends were going back in person.” Although both of them enjoyed being online, they both prefer doing in person learning this year. 

I know that many students and teachers are relieved to be back in person for the 2021-2022 school year. This year everyone will still have to wear masks, there are less events, and there is limited collaboration. Some students may be relieved that they don’t have to stay home and stare at their computer screen, but others are missing being in their pajamas all day. Others are still tired of wearing masks and some think they’re necessary. There are many ups and downs to being back in a school environment, but slowly and surely things will go back to normal again.