How CvHS Students Plan to Spend the Holiday Season

The coronavirus pandemic has caused families all across the United States to cancel their Thanksgiving plans and stay home for the holidays. Others refuse to let the global pandemic crush their holiday spirit and still plan to travel and visit family.

The CDC issued a notice regarding the holiday season on November 19, advising everyone to stay home and, even providing plentiful tips for anyone still planning to go out to parties and gatherings.

“Travel increases the chance of getting and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others,” the CDC said. 

Some of the CDC’s recommendations include only gathering with those who live in your household, visiting out-of-state relatives virtually using Zoom or other video-chatting platforms, and continuing social distancing protocols if you leave your house. 

Various Cleveland High School students were asked what their families’ plans are for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years’, and answers varied. The general consensus is that staying home instead of gathering in large groups is what most students and their families feel the most comfortable with. 

Reece Braswell, a Cleveland High School junior, said his family intended to go to Disney World for the holiday season, but due to COVID-19, their plans have since changed.

“We were planning on going to Disney but because of everything, we decided to not go. I am not really sure what we are doing because my parents want to keep it a surprise.” 

He continued by saying that his family does not typically do much with relatives for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but he agrees with people who do, just not this year.

“Going to see your family is good but in these times it is good to just stay home and be with the people in your own household this year. Once everything is all settled down then we can start seeing family again.” 

Benjamin-Gene White, a sophomore, has different plans. His family is traveling to his grandparents’ house to visit relatives they do not typically see, including aunts, uncles, and cousins.

“We’re all going to be safe though, trying to social distance as much as possible and do an orderly type thing when getting food.” 

Benjamin-Gene said his family will do their best to keep everyone safe, but they still want the holidays to be a time for celebrating loved ones in person.

Although Cleveland High School students have different opinions on how the holidays should be spent, it is agreed upon by everyone that the pandemic has caused families to bond with one another, which is something they will cherish for years to come.