NC State Students Transition to Online Classes After COVID-19 Outbreak on Campus

North Carolina State students moved to online learning after being on campus for less than three weeks due to a COVID-19 outbreak. With COVID still spreading in North Carolina with up to 1,200 new cases per day, it was reported that NC State has identified three clusters of COVID. A number of students coming from residence halls, apartment complexes and NC State Athletics. From August 10-23, 22 students and three employees have tested positive for the virus . As of August 24, there are over 1,000 students in quarantine off campus and over 100 in quarantine on campus.

With cases on the rise in different clusters including NC State Athletics, NC State paused all of their athletic activities. Out of the 2,093 tests from athletes, coaches and staff, there were 30 new cases. “We will continue to work with appropriate parties to evaluate the most responsible path moving forward and will provide further details when available” said Wolfpack athletic director Boo Corrigan.

Thomas Luter, a first year NC State student and a Cleveland High school alumni said,“The move hasn’t affected me too much. I’ve taken online classes before, so I’m pretty used to what they entail.”

The living situation has been updated to allow students to stay and live on campus as long as permitted if they decide to. Luter said he plans on staying to live on campus as long as possible. We also asked how the university informs their students of new cases and clusters.

“NCSU has a website that they update daily with the number of cases. They also send text and email alerts of any clusters on or around campus,” said Thomas. 

NC State isn’t the only university that is having issues with the spread of the virus. UNC Chapel-Hill and ECU both have dashboards to collect and share statistics about the COVID cases as well. “Return of the Pirate” and “Carolina Together” both show the daily testing with their results, numbers of positive tests daily, just like NC State’s “ Protect the Pack.” Due to their increase in numbers of positive cases, both ECU and UNC-Chapel Hill moved all classes online just like NC State.